The Sopranos Family Trees
The extensive character back stories and relationships are fascinating, especially how they’re slowly weaved into the plot lines. But like all series that have a ton of characters, it’s hard to keep track of who is connected to who and how.
One of the main themes of the show is family so it felt appropriate to show the characters’ familial relationships. For this project I used Family Echo.
The family trees are divided into 2 groups:
Group 1: The Aprile Family Tree
- 1 independent family
Group 2: The Greater Soprano Family Trees
- 3 interconnected families:
All names in gray are a deceased person.
The Aprile Family Tree
- Giacomo “Jackie” Aprile Sr
- Giacomo “Jackie Jr.” Aprile Jr
- Adrianna LaCerva
- Richie Aprile
- Vito Spatafore
None of the Aprile family members are related (via blood or marriage) to the Greater Soprano Family members.
There were 3 relationships that occurred between the 2 family groups but none resulted in marriage or children. All these relationships ended because an Aprile was killed:
- Vito, Jackie Jr., and Adrianna are all 1st cousins to each other (nephews and niece of Richie).
- Vito killed Jackie Jr, his own cousin.
- Vito once brags about Adrianna calling him “all the time” when Christopher was in rehab.
- Adrianna tells Feds that Vito was calling her often during this time period.
- This would also be unusual because Vito and Adrianna are 1st cousins.
- Phil Leotardo is a distance relative (through marriage) of this family, being 2nd cousins with Marie Spatafore, Vito’s wife.
The Greater Soprano Family
3 family trees that are all interconnected: Soprano, DeAngelis, and Blundetto.
Soprano Family Tree
Corrado Soprano Sr’s, had 3 sons, :
- Corrado “Uncle Jun/Junior) Soprano Jr.
- Ercoli Soprano
- Johnny Soprano
Johnny was the only son to marry (to Livia Polio) and have children:
- I can no longer find the YouTube clip, but but in a deleted scene it’s mentioned that Patsy Parisi (and Philly, Patsy’s late identical twin brother) is Tony’s cousin “on his mother’s side” (direct quote from Silvio).
- That would also make Tony Blundetto related to Patsy as well, because he and Tony are maternal 1st cousins.
- If Tony and Patsy are related, that means Meadow and her boyfriend/fiancee, Patrick Parisi, are also related.
DeAngelis Family Tree
This family tree starts with Carmela’s paternal grandparents. It is through Carmela that Tony is actually related to Christopher (more on this later). Carmela’s cousin is the late Richard “Dickie” Moltisanti, Chris’s father:
This makes Chris 1st cousin once removed to Carmela and 2nd cousin to Meadow and A.J.
It’s said, especially during the first few seasons, that Carmela has an unnamed sister. All that is mentioned is that she had “empty nest syndrome” (meaning she has children) and she went on Wellbutrin.
Carmela has a cousin named Brian Cammarata, who appeared in several episodes:
I wanted to put Brian in the tree but it’s never mentioned how he is related to Carmella.
Blundetto Family Tree
Tony B gets home from prison and gets a surprise welcome back party . At the party, Tony Soprano talks about their childhood and how they were distinguished from each other:
- Tony Soprano was called “Tony Uncle Johnny” because his father’s name was Johnny.
- Tony B was called “Tony Uncle Al” because his father’s name was Alfred.
Tony Soprano also mentions that Tony B was also called “Tony Uncle Philly” for a little while. I’m assuming that Quintina Blundetto was married or in a relationship with a man named Phil after her husband (Alfred Blundetto) died. Tony Soprano mentioned that Phil has also passed away. Since I couldn’t find anything about him, I left him out of the Blundetto family tree.
In the episode where Carmela’s father, Hugh, has a birthday party at the Soprano residence, Tony B is sitting and drinking with Joanne Blundetto, Christopher’s mother. He calls her “cuz” but this doesn’t make sense because Joanne is his aunt (his father’s sister).
Tony & Christopher’s Relationship
This often confusing, especially for new watchers.
Tony calls Christopher his nephew. He even says that they are blood. Neither of these 2 things are true:
- Explained in the DeAngelis family tree: Christopher’s father, Dickie Moltisanti, is Carmela’s cousin. Thus, Christopher is 1st cousins once removed with Carmela (not Tony) and 2nd cousins with Meadow and A.J.
- Explained in the Blundetto family tree: Christopher is 1st cousins with Tony B (through his mother and Tony B’s father). Tony Soprano is also first cousins to Tony B (through both their mothers). In other words, both Christopher and Tony Soprano are first cousins to Tony B, but not to each other.
- Dickie Moltisanti was a soldier in Johnny Soprano’s crew. He was very close to Tony Soprano, almost like a big brother. Because Dickie died while Chris was only a baby, Tony always looked out for Christopher and treated him like family.
However, there is an inconsistency. In one episode (I couldn’t find a video) right after Christopher dies, Tony refers to Christopher’s mother, Joanne, as his cousin in a dream session with Dr. Melfi:
“His mother, my cousin Joanne, a lush. Totally abandoned him as a parent, but now she’s reaping all the sympathy and the tears.”
I can’t find the scene but Adriana also says this to an FBI agent. She says that Joanne Moltisanti is Tony’s distant cousin from back “in the old country”. This could be true because people from small Italian villages, like Avellino, immigrated together to America.
There’s a good chance a lot of people in these villages were distantly related because of the small population size and lack of modern transportation. In one episode, Junior is under house arrest and is going stir crazy. He calls his parole officer and asks to go to the funeral of someone he claims to be a relative. The parole officer doesn’t believe him. Junior insists it is a relative because the whole village of Avellino settled in the Newark area so they had to be related somewhere down the line.